As the weather is changing, most of us are down with either flu or sinusitis. Yes, its that annoying time of the year when all we want to do is, stay at home with a cup of tea AND the Magical Elixir- chicken soup!
I wanted to make something different this time, more like a full meal , yet incorporating all those Immune- boosting ingredients of the traditional chicken soup. I ended up making Chicken Stew, which was full of flavor and kicked the congestion out of my sinuses!
Chicken Stew Recipe:
800gm Chicken Drumsticks
2 tbsp Canola Oil
1 Red Onion, chopped
1tbsp freshly prepared Ginger Garlic Paste
1 green cardamom
1 shard of cinnamon
10-12- whole black pepper
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander seeds
salt to taste
Sprigs of Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan under medium heat.
- Saute the onion until soft and then add the Ginger Garlic paste
- Grind the cloves, cardomom, cinnamon, black pepper, coriander seeds in a mortar-pestle and add to the saucepan along with the turmeric powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- keep stirring so that the mixture doesnt stick to the bottom of the saucepan or add splash of water when necessary.
- Now, add the chicken and the salt and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 2-3 cups of water-(depending on the consistency you like)- and let the chicken cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Check the seasoning, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with toasted brown bread!
Did You Know?- Studies have found that hot chicken soup can improve the ability of nasal cilia, to protect the body from bacteria and viruses.
- Ginger is packed with virus-fighting agents against cold and flu viruses. One such agent is gingerol which has been studied as a cough- suppressant. It helps in clearing congestion and clearing nasal passages. Ginger is well known for its use in nausea, motion sickness, stomachache, diarrhea, cholera, rheumatism, and headache!
- Garlic has antimicrobial and immune-stimulating properties and may give you slight relief from congestion. Raw garlic works as a powerful antibiotic that fights bacteria, viruses and parasites. Good for preventing heart disease and stroke, and it contains many preventive anticancer compounds and antioxidants.
- Turmeric is a spice that contains Curcumin- anti-inflammatory agent.
Let me know if any of you guys have tried this recipe! Post your pictures on Insatgram and hashtag with #hzarswomen!
Until Next time, Take care ladies!